Today, DISH has introduced a flexible satellite television platform targeted at hotels and hospitality operations that improves the in-room entertainment experience for guests and reduces total cost of ownership for operators. DISH is demonstrating its SMARTbox solution at the HITEC 2013 conference in Minneapolis. The DISH booth is located at booth #1625.
DISH's new SMARTbox technology for hospitality operations expands available HD channels up to 96, an improvement over the industry standard of 12-24 HD channels. (Photo: Business Wire)
Most hotel solutions use modified residential receivers - since hotel owners face different challenges than residential customers, SMARTbox was designed as an enterprise-grade solution with the following features:
- Scales to provide 36-96 channel lineup in HD and SD, an improvement over the industry standard of 12-24 HD channels,
- One unit will have flexibility to provide HD and SD channels simultaneously, making it efficient and cost effective to serve all TVs in any size hotel,
- Reduced size will replace the three sizable racks measuring seven-feet tall with a single SMARTbox unit built to standard rack-width spacing and stands only nine inches high,
- Remote monitoring and management capabilities enable easier deployment and maximize uptime,
- Low total cost of ownership with up to 90 percent reduction in power consumption and up to 93 percent reduction in rack space compared to similar solutions.
“SMARTbox delivers a better overall free-to-guest operating experience for managers and a vastly improved end-user experience for guests,” said Robert Grosz, vice president of Commercial Sales at DISH. “Reducing installation, power consumption and management overhead are big wins in free-to-guest; having happier guests is even better.”