MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. and SINGAPORE, June 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Collaboration will provide the framework for heterogeneous 2.5D/3D-IC systems
- Will optimize silicon interposer technology for lower cost and higher performance
Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq: SNPS), a global leader providing software, IP and services used to accelerate innovation in chips and electronic systems, today announced that it will join Singapore's A*STAR Institute of Microelectronics (IME)-led 2.5D TSI Consortium to provide the framework for heterogeneous 3D-IC systems using through-silicon interposer (TSI) technology. Synopsys will contribute its market expertise to the consortium to optimize TSI technology for cost-effective and performance-driven applications. The consortium's research and development efforts will lead to the demonstration of a heterogeneous 2.5D-IC design and manufacturing flow.
The electronic systems market is continually driving the demand for higher performance and functionality at lower cost. While traditional semiconductor technologies utilized in system-on-chip (SoC) devices continue to advance, the limitations in multi-chip systems, including interconnect density and inter-device bandwidth, are constraining system performance improvements. In addition, when multiple semiconductor technologies (such as MEMS, RF, analog and DRAM) are packaged independently from the system processor and related logic functions, it further impacts performance and cost. 3D-IC integration is an emerging solution for heterogeneous, multi-die and package systems. 2.5D-IC, a form of 3D-IC integration, combines silicon interposer, microbump and through-silicon via (TSV) technologies to enable the integration of heterogeneous, multi-die systems in a single package. In comparison to systems that contain the die packaged separately, 2.5D-IC offers many potential benefits, including higher system bandwidth, smaller form factor and faster time to product.
"Collaborating with industry leaders is essential to our 2.5D/3D-IC research and development roadmap," said Professor Dim-Lee Kwong, executive director of IME. "Through the consortium, a valuable resource sharing platform is formed where different fields of expertise and knowledge are readily available to optimize the research efforts and advance the market adoption of 2.5D integration for a wide range of applications."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV