Nautilus, Inc., Makers Of Innovative Home Fitness Equipment, Surveyed A Random Sampling Of The U.S. Population To Better Understand Their Workout Behaviors And Health Priorities. (Graphic: Business Wire)
June 24, 2013 - Americans may seem to be placing a renewed focus on health and fitness, but the reality is we still have a long way to go. A new survey from Nautilus, Inc. (NYSE: NLS) found that working out at a gym can be intimidating and deters some people from working out. Americans are most intimidated by people that are in better shape at the gym, with 32 percent of survey respondents citing it as the key factor.
The Nautilus survey, powered by uSamp’s Instant.ly platform, questioned 1,000 men and women in the United States ages 18 and older on April 17, 2013 to better understand their workout behaviors and health priorities.
The survey found that most Americans are dissatisfied with how they feel and how they look. More than half of adults consider themselves overweight, with 11 percent identifying themselves as obese and 51 percent noting they need to lose a few pounds. Body image is also a point of discontent, as 64 percent of adults say they are unhappy with their body overall.
Of those surveyed, many found solace with at home workouts:
- 41 percent said they workout at home because they don’t feel embarrassed
- 26 percent like that they can wear what they want
- 13 percent enjoy that they control the channel on the TV
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV