SAN JOSE, Calif., June 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- SunPower Corp. (NASDAQ: SPWR), a global solar energy and technology provider, today announced that nine of 12 university teams will race in the 2013 Formula Sun Grand Prix (FSGP) with solar vehicles powered by SunPower's high efficiency, high reliability Maxeon® solar cells.
The SunPower® all-back contact solar cells collect and convert more sunlight into energy when compared to cells with contacts on the front. This all-back contact allows SunPower cells to generate maximum solar power when applied to limited surface areas found on some rooftops, as well as on the hoods of FSGP racecars.
"SunPower's solar technology continues to be the choice for innovative projects that blaze new trails for renewable energy solutions," said SunPower CEO Tom Werner. "SunPower cells fueling the Formula Sun Grand Prix cars, and the Solar Impulse airplane that recently journeyed above Texas, utilize the same solar technology that power residential rooftops, commercial applications and power plant installations around the globe."
Of 12 university teams that registered to compete in this year's FSGP, nine chose to build and race their solar vehicles with high efficiency SunPower Maxeon solar cells including:
- Illinois State University
- Iowa State University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Northwestern University
- Oregon State University
- Principia College
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Waterloo
- Western Michigan University
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV