GERMANTOWN, Md., June 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES), the global leader in broadband satellite solutions and services, today announced that it has been awarded a contract by the National Weather Service (NWS) to provide a satellite back-up solution for its Operational Systems Network (OPSnet). OPSnet is the primary communications system for NWS to analyze and distribute meteorological, hydrological, satellite, and radar data that is shared with Weather Forecast Offices nationwide.
"Hughes is honored to be selected by NWS for this mission-critical solution," said Tony Bardo, assistant vice president of Government Solutions at Hughes. "Only satellite technology offers a truly diverse, back-up network path—which is essential to ensure emergency communications and Continuity of Operations (COOP) when disaster strikes. Hughes looks forward to working with NWS to strengthen the robustness and availability of its important service to America."
Under the terms of the agreement, Hughes will provide an existing network of 63 broadband satellite terminals (VSATs) with service and support to include:
- Dedicated satellite space segment to deliver inroute and outroute data throughputs of 1.5Mbps;
- A dedicated, redundant IP gateway including web acceleration services and proactive network monitoring;
- Hosting services of equipment associated with government-provided backhaul communications;
- Remote operational support for the 63 VSAT terminals on a 24/7, 365 day basis and
- Network Operations Center (NOC) access, including web or thin client access to network monitoring for the government.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV