The study separates the luxury-hotel market worldwide into three tiers:
Luxury major: This includes luxury brands of a major integrated chain such as Sofitel, Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott. It's the fastest-growing category of luxury hotels, according to the study, showing 12.1% growth since the first quarter of 2012.
Luxury exclusive: These are luxury brands of a small/medium size and include exclusive luxury chains such as Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and Kempinski.
Upper upscale: This category is primarily integrated chains such as Hilton and Sheraton. It's the most popular category, capturing three-quarters of total global interest.Hilton is by far the leader in many ways, according to the study. It's the No. 1 Upper Upscale Chain hotel brand, snagging 22.8% of global demand in its category. It also ranks first in four out of 10 markets studied -- Italy, Germany, United Kingdom and the United States. The reason Hilton is such a strong market force, according to the study, is strong brand awareness and brand recall, giving it a distinct competitive edge. Among the Luxury Exclusive category, Four Seasons is the clear leader. The Four Seasons benefits from an outstanding level of online awareness, according to Florent Bondoux, head of strategy and intelligence for Digital Luxury Group. Meanwhile Ritz-Carlton is the top Luxury Major brand in the world, capturing 4.6% of global demand for luxury hotel rooms in its category. It is most popular in Japan. Ritz has become a leading hotel luxury brand because of what the report calls rigorously developed and implemented standards. One such policy cited is Ritz Carlton's allowing its employees to spend up to $2,000 to respond to guest's wishes to make any single guest satisfied. Bondoux said all three hotel chains have several advantages that keep them in their top spots
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV