NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- the new theme; and
- the not-so-dumb market.
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
We've Lost the Housing ThesisPosted at 4:13 p.m. EDT on Friday, June 21 It was another one of those "could have been worse" sessions. But you know what? I think that this was simply a relief rally -- a relief that the interest rate on the 10-year Treasury didn't spike more than we had thought it would, and a relief that China didn't let its banks go bust. Here's the problem with a relief rally. Now that we are relieved for Friday, we have to get all relieved again every day next week. On Friday, underneath, we saw the continued unwind of the housing trade. All you had to do was watch Whirlpool (WHR - Get Report). The shelling this one took is indicative of the pain that's ahead of us when we read that mortgage rates are about to go to 5%.
Sure, Whirlpool also has a big Brazil component, but this 7-point decline is all about the big speed bump in the road of the housing highway. When I see this, and a similar decline in Sherwin Williams (SHW - Get Report), I know these stocks are truly rolling over and they aren't done. What's going to take this theme's place? I have been championing the regional banks, the techs and the industrials, and they did well today. But the stars were the bond-equivalent stocks, and that's unnerving to me, too. I do not know how they can move still higher. They are still up huge, and they no longer have that dividend support now that the rates have moved higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV