In 2012, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of about $19.1 billion ( 14.7 billion euro). R&D expenditure in the business area Prescription Medicines corresponds to 22.5 percent of its net sales.
For more information please visit
About Eli Lilly and Company
Lilly, a leading innovation-driven corporation, is developing a growing portfolio of pharmaceutical products by applying the latest research from its own worldwide laboratories and from collaborations with eminent scientific organizations. Headquartered in
, Lilly provides answers – through medicines and information – for some of the world's most urgent medical needs. Additional information about Lilly is available at
About Lilly Diabetes
Lilly has been a global leader in diabetes care since 1923, when we introduced the world's first commercial insulin. Today we work to meet the diverse needs of people with diabetes through research and collaboration, a broad and growing product portfolio and a continued commitment to providing real solutions – from medicines to support programs and more – to make lives better.
For more information, visit
This press release contains forward-looking statements about empagliflozin* for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It reflects Lilly's current beliefs; however, as with any such undertaking, there are substantial risks and uncertainties in the process of drug development and commercialization. There is no guarantee that future study results and patient experience will be consistent with study findings to date or that empagliflozin* will receive regulatory approvals or prove to be commercially successful. For further discussion of these and other risks and uncertainties, please see Lilly's latest Forms 10-Q and 10-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Lilly undertakes no duty to update forward-looking statements.
Associate Director, Public Relations Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Email:
Phone: (203) 798-4638
Communications Manager Lilly Diabetes Email:
Phone: (317) 651-9116
- Rosenstock J, et al. Empagliflozin as Add-On to Basal Insulin for 78 Weeks Improves Glycemic Control with Weight Loss in Insulin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes (T2DM). Poster No: 1102-P. Presented at the American Diabetes Association (ADA) 73rd Scientific Sessions ®. June 21-25, Chicago, IL.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes fact sheet: national estimates and general information on diabetes and pre-diabetes in the United States, 2011. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011.
- International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes Atlas, 5th Edition: Fact Sheet. 2012.
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 5th Edition: What is Diabetes? http://www.idf.org/diabetesatlas/5e/what-is-diabetes. Accessed on: June 18, 2013
- American Diabetes Association. Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2012. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(4):1033-1046.
Empagliflozin is an investigational compound. Its safety and efficacy have not been established.
SOURCE Eli Lilly and Company; Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.