Secondly, Morningstar is ignoring the potentially damaging impact that rising rates could have on an ETF with heavy exposure to utilities and master limited partnerships. While central banks around the world are likely to keep interest rates contained for a while longer, ETFs like IGF simply do not respond well to rapid spikes.
Third, the price ratio between IGF and the iShares All-World Index Fund (ACWI) demonstrates a persistent lack of momentum. Seeking "alpha" is dandy when alpha actually exists. In this instance, I'm not certain the asset class is distinct, nor am I confident that it adds value up and above the "beta" provided by ACWI.
Granted, if you choose to fall in love with infrastructure as a concept -- if you choose to marry a theme the way the aforementioned prospective client chose emerging market exclusivity -- IGF is probably better than the infrastructure alternatives.I agree with the folks at Morningstar that IGF is probably more desirable than SPDR FTSE/Macquarie Global Infrastructure 100 (GII). For the time being, however, infrastructure investments are likely to drag on portfolio performance, not benefit the exchange-traded fund enthusiast. Follow @etfexpert This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV