NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What is this "selfie" phenomenon sweeping online social media platforms? TheStreet's Jim Cramer wanted to know.
Colleague Ross Kenneth Urken and his sister, "Mad Money" Research Director Nicole Urken, were more than happy to explain Friday.
The selfie, meaning a photo taken of yourself or with others using an inverse camera shot, has become ever more popular on social media including Instagram and Facebook (FB).
While Ross said it may be viewed as "narcissistic" by some of the older generation, the selfie has become a popular way for people to display themselves to the world.Cramer wondered if this new photo shot was aided by the advance in technology, since the flip cameras found on many cellphones make the picture much easier to take. The Urkens told him it did, and with the ability to take pictures, modify the look and post it online, users have complete control over how they are portrayed to others. Nicole added that people are no longer valued just on how much they're worth from a monetary standpoint and that Twitter followers and Facebook status "likes" matter, too. Then, to show how easy it is, the Urkens helped Cramer create his first selfie. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV