GUELPH, ON, June 21, 2013 /CNW/ - The University of Guelph announced today a $1 million commitment from the RBC Blue Water Project to support teaching and research initiatives in water and ecosystem monitoring, as well as treatment and conservation on First Nations reserves.
"Water contamination is one of the most important health-related environmental problems facing First Nations communities," said president of the University of Guelph, Alastair Summerlee. "These communities also face serious and increasingly complex threats to ecosystem biodiversity. We have the research and teaching expertise and commitment -- and now, thanks to RBC, additional resources to make a difference."
The new education and research initiative includes student field projects to help them learn more about water and biodiversity. The gift was made through the BetterPlanet Project, the University's $200-million fundraising campaign for teaching and research in food, environment, health and communities.
"We're proud to support the University of Guelph in its efforts to assist First Nations communities and help protect one of the world's most precious natural resources - fresh water," said Dave McKay, group head, personal and commercial banking, RBC. " Canada is considered a water-rich country, but many areas, including our Aboriginal communities, are under serious water stress, and shortages are becoming alarmingly common in communities across the country. Working together with the University of Guelph and other organizations, we can help ensure we have safe, clean water, now and in the future."Currently, the University of Guelph has more than 100 faculty members and hundreds of students and researchers involved in water-related projects. The RBC Blue Water Project commitment will strengthen projects and support new initiatives, with self-sufficiency and sustainability being major program goals. Efforts will include:
- Training and helping with water and wastewater treatment and monitoring;
- Helping First Nations determine priorities and strategic solutions to protect biological and cultural diversity;
- Fostering responsibility and control of community water systems and health;
- Developing tools to improve drinking water inspection and quality;
- Removing toxins and pathogens from water;
- Sponsoring workshops, projects and communication initiatives;
- Helping develop emergency response and water protection plans;
- Determining human impacts on aquatic ecosystems; and
- Working globally with aboriginal populations to create biodiversity resources.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV