Shifting Away From Junk Bonds
Rivelle said that the securities remain undervalued and should continue rallying.
"With the non-agency mortgages, you have the potential to get high single-digit returns and possibly double-digit returns," Rivelle said.
Another manager who has shied away from high-yield issues is Steve Smith, portfolio manager of Legg Mason BW Global Opportunities Bond (GOBSX). After markets began recovering from the financial crisis, Smith held a big stake in corporate bonds, including high-yield issues. But lately he has shifted almost entirely away from corporate issues. A global manager who is free to invest anywhere in the world, Smith has been shopping in troubled countries of Southern Europe.
"We have been selling expensive corporate issues and buying Portuguese bonds that were yielding 9.5%," he said.The shift to Portugal might seem like an unlikely move, but Smith has made a career of going against the crowd. His fund currently has 4% of assets in Malaysia and 3% in Hungary. The portfolio has only small holdings in developed countries such as Japan and Germany. (PDVAX), ranges around the globe, holding a mix of U.S. and foreign bonds. Lately he has been shedding high-yield bonds and shifting to securities from the emerging markets. Holdings include bonds from Russia and South Africa. The wide-ranging approach has enabled the fund to return 8.5% annually during the past five years, outdoing 76% of multi-sector bond competitors. Mewbourne particularly likes Brazilian bonds. While the country has an inflation rate of 6.5%, the bonds yield 11%. "Brazilian yields have increased substantially in the last six weeks, and the country has sound credit fundamentals," he said. Follow @StanLuxenberg This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV