This story has been updated with quotes from Scott Sweet.
The discount accessories, toy and craft retailer, known for selling products at $5 and below, said that it was postponing the offering, launched on Wednesday, as a result of the "current capital market conditions," according to a press release.
The company didn't provide further information in the release as to when the offering would be rescheduled. An outside spokesman was not immediately available.Five Below shares initially rose as much as 4.3% on Friday, but had give back the majority of those gains. Shares were recently trading at $37.48, up 0.19%. Also see: Men's Wearhouse Fires Founder Zimmer, Shares Fall Also see: Restoration Hardware Soars: Retail Winners And Losers The U.S. stock market plunged Thursday -- the most in 19 months -- on fears the Federal Reserve is working on plans to reduce its bond-buying stimulus program. Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke's comments also lent credence to the notion that interest rates may be adjusted upward, and that mortgage rates, currently at historic lows, could follow as well, according to TheStreet's Andrea Tse. Not surprisingly, shares of Five Below nosedived more than 5% on Thursday. The Philadelphia-based company on Wednesday launched its secondary offering of about 8.6 million common shares. The shares were being sold by current shareholders, who included some of the company's executive management and board of directors, it said. The company was not expected to receive any proceeds from the sale. Scott Sweet, senior managing partner at IPO Boutique, says the deal was likely postponed due to lack of orders following the market plunge. He expects the company will look to complete the deal when the markets are more stable. "This in no way reflects upon how the company is doing right now but .. insiders
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV