NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While longer-term rates like the 10-year Treasury bond "soar" (yes, I'm being facetious) to shocking levels like 2.45%, the market is giving dividend-hungry investors a long-awaited chance to capture higher yields on REITS with quality tenants.
One that stands out and is "on sale" is Government Properties Income Trust (GOV). The name alone suggests that this real estate investment trust has tenants that have the power to print money when they need to pay the rent.
As of March 31, Government Properties owned $1.7 billion in office properties, comprising 10 million square feet in 31 states and Washington D.C. The company says that about 75% of its rental income comes from properties leased to the U.S. government.
In addition, 21% of its rental income is paid by state governments and 4% by the United Nations.The dividend at Thursday's closing share price of $23.36 translates to a 7.36% yield, well above the average REIT yield. Plus, government tenants have a historically high renewal rate with an average occupancy of 26 years. Government Properties Income Trust is managed by Reit Management & Research LLC, a private company founded in 1986 to manage public investments in real estate. As of March 31, RMR managed a large portfolio of publicly owned real estate in North America, including 1,700 properties in 46 states; Washington, D.C.; Puerto Rico; and Ontario, Canada. GOV data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV