SEATTLE, June 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- More homeowners are choosing to stay in their homes and invest in home improvements due to tight inventory and the fact that more than 25 percent of homeowners nationwide are underwater on their mortgages[i]. To make the most of their current surroundings, 60 percent of homeowners plan to make a home improvement or addition this summer, according to the Zillow® Digs™ Summer Home Improvement Trend and Spending Survey[ii].
"Zillow Digs is a leading resource for discovering up-and-coming design trends as actual consumers and professionals are sharing and discussing what they like," said Cynthia Nowak, Zillow Digs trend expert. "As we head into the long days of summer, we are seeing increased interest in outdoor spaces with very natural elements such as stone fireplaces, as well as bringing more light into bathrooms with clear glass on the walls and shower enclosures."
Home improvement projects and spending varies by age and life stage
Younger homeowners and homes with children are significantly more likely to be planning a home improvement or addition this summer.
- 18-to-34-year-olds: 71 percent
- 35-to-54-year-olds: 61 percent
- 55 and older: 51 percent
- Homes with children: 65 percent
- Homes without children: 57 percent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV