In trading on Thursday, shares of Geospace Technologies Corp (GEOS) entered into oversold territory, changing hands as low as $68.10 per share. We define oversold territory using the Relative Strength Index, or RSI, which is a technical analysis indicator used to measure momentum on a scale of zero to 100. A stock is considered to be oversold if the RSI reading falls below 30.
In the case of Geospace Technologies Corp, the RSI reading has hit 29.5 — by comparison, the universe of energy stocks covered by Energy Stock Channel currently has an average RSI of 41.6, the RSI of WTI Crude Oil is at 46.7, and the RSI of Henry Hub Natural Gas is presently 47.4.
A bullish investor could look at GEOS's 29.5 reading as a sign that the recent heavy selling is in the process of exhausting itself, and begin to look for entry point opportunities on the buy side.
Looking at a chart of one year performance (below), GEOS's low point in its 52 week range is $40.31 per share, with $113.73 as the 52 week high point — that compares with a last trade of $68.29. Geospace Technologies Corp shares are currently trading down about 6.1% on the day.
According to the ETF Finder at ETF Channel, GEOS makes up 2.60% of the S&P SmallCap Energy Portfolio ETF (PSCE) which is trading lower by about 4.2% on the day Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV