NEWARK, N.J., June 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With the summer season officially under way, Public Service Electric and Gas Co. (PSE&G) has taken steps to meet the expected high demand for electricity in the coming months.
The forecasted summer peak for this year is 10,562 megawatts. Last year's peak was 10,521 megawatts, set on July 18, and PSE&G's all-time summer peak was 11,108 megawatts, set on Aug. 2, 2006.
"We've already experienced one heat wave in 2013, and there's certainly more hot weather on its way," said Ralph LaRossa, PSE&G president and COO. "PJM, which manages electric supply for our region, has said we will have enough power to meet the demand for electricity this summer. Our customers can rest assured that when the temperature starts to climb, they'll be able to run their fans and air conditioners to keep cool."PSE&G expects to have no problem delivering the additional power, but utility crews are at the ready to respond to service interruptions should they occur. The utility's rigorous preparedness program for summer includes conducting employee training, developing emergency summer operating plans, and performing summer peak reliability analysis, helicopter and climbing inspections of transmission circuits, infrared inspections, system reinforcements and transmission line work. PSE&G customers are also benefiting from about $1.8 billion in electric and gas infrastructure upgrades the utility is making this year to its transmission and distribution facilities to maintain reliability. Recent upgrades for this summer include the replacement of over 100 miles of underground distribution cable, 10 miles of aerial cable, 129 pad-mounted transformers, 127 microprocessor relays and 57 underground network protectors. To prevent tree contacts with energized power lines, crews have trimmed nearly 3,300 miles of trees along distribution and transmission lines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV