The app, available for both Apple's (AAPL) iOS and Google's (GOOG) Android, allows users to take 15-second videos of what they are recording. The app also allows users to re-record the video if the video is marred by an accidental clip.
Instagram has become a phenomenon since Facebook acquired it last year. CEO Kevin Systrom said the product is simple and beautiful and possesses a key differentiator in its community. Instagram is a tool that can take meaningful moments in the world and capture them forever, Systrom said during the event.
"Instagram is a way to stay connected," he said.Instagram, which now has more than 130 million active users on the platform every month, is a ""collection of ideas and inspiration best shared by you." Over 16 billion photos have been shared on Instagram, with over 1 billion likes every single day. Video now comes with an additional 13 custom filters specifically used for the video component of the social network. Instagram also announced a new feature called Cinema, which allows users to get rid of the shaky component some iPhone users have. Apple's camera does not currently feature image stabilization, which Cinema now cures. Rumors bandied about earlier this week that the world's largest social network would launch a competitor to Vine, Twitter's popular six-second video sharing social network. Facebook shares were moving lower Thursday, falling 1.92% to $23.84. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV