While NYX has rallied hard in 2013, this year has been a bloodbath for Facebook (FB). The 8% drop in shares since January doesn't look horrific on its surface, but when you factor in the 15% rally in the rest of the market over the same period, the underperformance is cringe-worthy. Well, it finally looks like shareholders could be due for a reprieve.
FB is another name that's forming an inverse head and shoulders pattern. The key difference is that FB's pattern is a little bit more textbook since it comes in at the bottom of the stock's recent price range, rather than the top. FB is a little less far along than NYX; the buy signal comes on a move above the neckline at $24.60.Momentumadds some extra confidence to this trade. 14-day RSI reversed its downtrend at the start of this month -- a new uptrend in this momentum gauge is a bullish signal, but it's not a buy signal just yet. That doesn't happen until the neckline gets taken out. When it does, I'd suggest keeping a stop under the right shoulder. To see this week's trades in action, check out this week's Must-See Charts portfolio on Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV