NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The nature of cloud computing is that you can parcel out a huge job among many machines, address them as one virtual machine, then perform computing tasks that were impossible before.
A cloud can take a huge haystack of data and find individual needles in it, or analyze that same haystack for patterns that create immense value. Once a job is in the cloud it can scale on-demand, and be ready to run at a moment's notice.
Google (GOOG) uses this capability to get you the data you want, and uses the traffic patterns or "meta-data" generated by this to target ads to you that might actually be relevant. For years there were activists who found this feature scary.
But when it was revealed the National Security Agency can "google" too, using phone records and Internet cache to help it focus investigations on incipient plots that might take hundreds of lives, all this became a scandal with a life of its own.The scandal has put all cloud players on the defensive, as I noted yesterday in writing about Hewlett-Packard (HPQ). What the NSA did was not a bug. It was a feature of the Patriot Act ( described here by Wikipedia), passed in 2001, as the cloud era was dawning. reported by Wired, for Amazon.com (AMZN) to build copies of its Amazon Web Services cloud inside CIA offices. And that's the real story here, a business story. The NSA isn't listening into your phone calls. They're not reading your email. It's taking a first cut of this meta-data and then, if it finds something, going through a legal process to start listening to your phone calls and reading your email. Your kids now do the same thing when they research a term paper. They run a job to find what they need to read.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV