A Case for Bank Stocks
Lately Kovalski has been focusing on banks that seem to be prime candidates for takeovers. Acquirers often pay premium prices to purchase solid banks. During the financial crisis, merger activity slowed. But since then, the volume of activity has increased. Kovalski says that about 50 banks are taken over each quarter.
Many institutions are selling themselves because it has become difficult for small institutions to cover the costs of complying with new regulations. "A small community bank may have to hire an additional person to handle compliance issues, and that can be a difficult burden" says Kovalski.
A favorite holding is Southern National Bancorp of Virginia (SONA), which has 19 branches in Virginia and Maryland. The bank has been expanding by acquiring branches of troubled competitors. Kovalski figures that the bank could be an acquisition target. The company is headed by a husband-and-wife team who earlier built up another bank and sold it.
Another way to benefit from a rise in bank shares is by holding Oakmark I (OAKMX), a large blend fund that has 28% of its assets in financial shares. During the past five years, the fund returned 11.% annually, outperforming the S&P 500 by more than 4 percentage points. The fund's top holdings include JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC).Portfolio manager Bill Nygren looks for growing companies that sell for discounts of at least 40% to their fair values. Nygren is particularly keen on Bank of America (BAC). "The company has gotten off the critical care list and is now a sustainable business," he said last week in a talk at the Morningstar Investment Conference in Chicago. Follow @StanLuxenberg This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV