Living in a Van to Pay Off Student Debt
Challenging conformity was a daunting task, but Ilgunas never wavered in his decision. It was a lonely pursuit, but the New York native focused on finishing his education and working part-time by tutoring students or volunteering in paid medical studies.
"I had no choice but to maintain discipline," he said. "I was close to bankrupt for much of my first semester, so I just didn't have the money for unnecessary things or to go out to eat. After a while, once I got used to the van's inconveniences."
"Going into college, I knew almost nothing about these things," he said. "I didn't even know what 'interest' was. I'd had minimum wage jobs, so I wasn't completely unfamiliar with the value of a dollar. But that didn't at all prepare me to think through taking out a five-digit loan. My priority at the time was to get into the best school I could, no matter the cost, which is not advice I'd give to young folks now."With funding to state college and universities being reduced and the cost of tuition being increased since many institutions are building "lavish new facilities," students need to learn the basics of finance, Ilgunas said. "You have high tuition and 17-year-olds making financial decisions while the concept of 'debt' is still very abstract to them," he said. "This is why I went $18,000 in debt in my first year alone." Instead of accruing thousands of dollars in student loan debt, Ilgunas advises students to seek alternatives for a good, yet affordable education. Since many students cannot avoid having to take on debt to pay for college, Ilgunas recommends that students limit the total amount to $25,000 or less and to consider whether their field leads to a career with a decent salary.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV