SAN FRANCISCO, June 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Smartfood brand, with support from SELF magazine, today released the list of the Top 10 SMARTest Cities in America – with San Francisco taking the top spot. The brand also announced its nationwide SMART Search 2013 contest – giving fans across the country the chance to be celebrated for having "smart in the bag" – aligning with the Smartfood brand values of eating and living well. Fans can go to www.Facebook.com/Smartfood to nominate someone they know or themselves to be named the winner of the SMART Search 2013. The contest winner will be featured in the September issue of SELF magazine and receive $10,000 in prize money. Smartfood is one of the many brands from PepsiCo's Frito-Lay division.
Today's announcement is part of the Smartfood brand's summer-long effort to celebrate what it means to live SMART. To start, the brand broadened and redefined "SMART" by combining five criteria to align with the Smartfood brand's goal of living and eating well. Each letter stands for a specific area of focus: S avvy, M otivated, A ccomplished, R esponsible and T houghtful. Based on these criteria, the Top 10 SMARTest Cities as ranked by the Smartfood brand include:
- San Francisco, Calif.
- Seattle, Wash.
- Washington, D.C.
- Austin, Texas
- Minneapolis, Minn.
- Portland, Ore.
- Denver, Colo.
- Boston, Mass.
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- San Jose, Calif.
To celebrate San Francisco's achievement as the nation's SMARTest city, the Smartfood brand has asked Brooke Burke-Charvet to be in Union Square Park today from Noon to 3 p.m. Burke-Charvet, TV personality, SELF magazine celebrity favorite and co-host of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars," is an amazing example of living and eating SMART through her motivation, passion for philanthropy and balanced active lifestyle. Fans will have the opportunity to participate in SMART showdowns for the chance to win cool prizes, experience a 10-minute bootcamp workout by SELF fitness editor, Marissa Stephenson, and enjoy free Smartfood product samples. The Smartfood brand will also collect submissions for its SMART Search 2013 contest throughout the afternoon. For San Franciscans not able to make it out to Union Square, brand ambassadors will be passing out Smartfood product samples near four BART stations.
"We are excited to be in San Francisco today with Brooke Burke-Charvet and SELF magazine," said Dave Skena, vice president of marketing for Frito-Lay. "As we continue to share what it means to live and snack SMART, we figured there was no better place to launch our SMART Search than in our choice for the country's SMARTest City.""I've always believed that living smart goes far beyond book smarts," said Burke-Charvet, TV host, personality and entrepreneur, known for her SMART lifestyle. "That is why it's so great what the Smartfood brand is doing – taking its own brand mantra of having 'smart in the bag' and creating a larger conversation about what it means to live SMART. I can only hope this will inspire more people to live a conscious lifestyle." Making smart choices is what the Smartfood brand has always been about. The Smartfood brand offers a line of snacks including popcorn, puffed corn and popped chip varieties with no artificial flavors or preservatives. Last year, the Smartfood brand introduced Smartfood Selects, which boast smart flavor combinations of real herbs and spices, providing delicious snack options. The brand's careful pairing of select ingredients creates perfectly complementary, unforgettably delicious flavors to spice up snack time. Smartfood snacks are available at retailers nationwide and online through Amazon.com. For more information, visit www.Smartfood.com. About the SMARTest City The SMARTest City list was compiled using a combination of five criteria:
- Savvy measured the availability of balanced foods using 2012 per capita concentrations of farm-to-table restaurants, health food stores and farmers markets.
- Motivated measured the physical activity level in a city using existing city rankings for walkability and bikeability and the American College of Sports Medicine's American Fitness Index.
- Accomplished measured education using the 2012 Scarborough study of people with college degrees as a percent of the total city population.
- Responsible measured environmental stewardship using the 2012 National Resource Defense Council ranking of green cities.
- Thoughtful measured philanthropy using the Chronicle of Philanthropy's 2012 charitable cities ranking.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV