Pier 1 Imports, Inc. (NYSE:PIR) today reported financial results for the first quarter ended June 1, 2013.
First Quarter Financial Highlights
- Total sales increased 9.3%
- Comparable store sales rose 5.9%
- Gross profit as a percentage of sales up 80 basis points to 42.4%
- Operating margin expanded 80 basis points to 8.4%
- Net income increased 14% to $20.3 million; Earnings per share growth of 19% to $0.19
“Our results for the period, our 15 th consecutive quarter of significant sales and profit growth, reflect a solid quarter of execution,” stated Alex W. Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer. “The continued improvement of our gross profit speaks to the success of our merchandising strategies, both in-store and online, and reflects strong full-price selling during the period. We also leveraged expenses, enabling us to deliver operating margins of 8.4% and earnings per share growth of 19%.”
Mr. Smith continued, “We’re pleased with the ongoing progress we are making towards building out our multi-channel functionality and executing our '1 Pier 1' vision. The rollout of our new point-of-sale system is on track for completion later this summer; we will then begin the integration of our stores and e-Commerce businesses, laying the foundation to provide a seamless and significantly enhanced shopping experience for our customers.”First Quarter Fiscal 2014 Results For the first quarter ended June 1, 2013, the Company reported net income of $20.3 million, or $0.19 per share, compared to last year’s first quarter net income of $17.8 million, or $0.16 per share. Total sales for the first quarter were $394.9 million, a 9.3% increase versus $361.1 million in the year-ago quarter. Comparable store sales increased 5.9% during the first quarter compared to last year’s comparable store sales gain of 7.2%. Comparable store sales results for the quarter were primarily attributable to increases in store traffic and higher average ticket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV