SACRAMENTO, Calif., June 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Thanks to decades of scientific research, almost everyone knows that milk offers many health benefits and is an essential part of a healthy diet. Ongoing research continues to find amazing properties of milk that may surprise even the most dedicated milk drinker. These secrets further solidify milk's irreplaceable role in healthy, balanced eating patterns.
During June, which is national Dairy Month, Dairy Council of California is sharing the wondrous secrets of milk through a new infographic filled with fun and surprising facts about milk, along with specially-selected recipes to help families include milk and milk products in their diets. View the infographic and recipes at HealthyEating.org/SecretsofMilk."I think many consumers would be surprised to learn that milk is a local food, going from the dairy farm to the supermarket shelf in just two days," said Ashley Rosales, Registered Dietitian with Dairy Council of California. "We're using June as a time to highlight these little-known facts to help consumers feel great about including milk and milk products in their food choices." Other wondrous secrets contained in the infographic include:
- Adults and children who regularly consume milk and milk products have healthier diets overall.
- Milk hydrates and provides protein and carbohydrates, making it nature's sports beverage.
- At around 25 cents per serving, milk is an affordable kitchen staple that can be used in smoothies, soups, casseroles, puddings and many other recipes.
- Milk contains a natural sugar called lactose and a protein powerhouse of whey and casein that make it naturally sweet and satisfying.
- The proven health benefits of milk go beyond bone health to include lowering blood pressure, boosting immunity and reducing the risk of certain cancers.