NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- No stock keeps hitting new 52-week highs without taking a bit of a pause. The past several weeks haven't seen many new 52-week highs, but the company I'm spotlighting has had more than one.
In the past I've referred to Medtronic (MDT) as the "Rodney Dangerfield" of medical products companies. For a long period its stock and the value of the company couldn't get any respect.
That moniker has changed lately, but this is a company that knows how to be patient about its reputation and its business results. Founded in 1949, Medtronic has grown to become the world's largest independent medical technology company.
It's self-stated "mission" is to "...alleviate pain, restore health and extend life," and that's a mission to which everyone can relate. In fact its mission hasn't changed since its co-founder, Earl Bakken, wrote it in 1960: "To contribute to human welfare by application of biomedical engineering in the research, design, manufacture, and sale of instruments or appliances that alleviate pain, restore health and extend life."MDT claims that more than seven million lives are enhanced every year by a Medtronic product or therapy, or one every four seconds. The Minneapolis company operates in more than 120 countries, employs 45,000 people (including 9,000 scientists) and has pursued research and innovation that's led to more than 23,000 patents. eye-pleasing Web site. You owe it to yourself to browse through the Web site, especially its investor relations section.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV