RI's Twin River Casino Begins Table Games
LINCOLN, R.I. (AP) â¿¿ Las Vegas-style betting games like blackjack and craps are now underway at Rhode Island's Twin River Casino after state leaders held a ribbon cutting for expanded gambling Wednesday.
Gov. Lincoln Chafee, House Speaker Gordon Fox and other top lawmakers participated in the opening ceremonies at the facility in Lincoln. Chafee, a Democrat, said expanded gambling creates "good paying jobs" for a state that has struggled with high unemployment.
"Today is a meaningful step forward in Rhode Island's continuing economic recovery," Chafee said.
Twin River hired 400 new workers, completed a $7 million renovation and installed 66 tables for the new games, which also include baccarat and roulette."We said we would increase the amount of money we generate for the state through a table game offering," said Twin River chairman John Taylor. "Today, we begin to do just that." Voters approved Twin River's proposal to expand from a slot parlor to a full-fledged casino last fall. Supporters say the expansion will protect state gambling revenue from competition from Massachusetts, where casinos have been authorized but not yet built. The facility also boasts has more than 4,500 slot machines. The Newport Grand slot parlor had also sought permission for table games, and while voters statewide supported the idea in last fall's election, local voters balked. Casino referendums must pass statewide and in a facility's host community to be approved. Twin River and Newport Grand contribute about $300 million a year to state coffers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV