According to Nasdaq, if the shorts want to cover, it would take three weeks of current trading volume for them to close out their short positions. It doesn't take a Jim Cramer to figure out short interest this high can become explosive after a strong earnings report. Even a widely subscribed positive press release can send shares soaring.
Two recent short squeeze examples include Tesla Motors (TSLA) and First Solar (FSLR). Both companies traded at price multiples above Pitney Bowes and were targets of short-sellers. Both companies surprised Wall Street with positive news.
First Solar doubled in less than two months when shares climbed from under $28 to an intra-day $59 peak. Tesla Motors accelerated from $40.50 on April 9, 2013 to over $100 today. Short interest is rocket fuel for a stock that delivers unexpected terrific news. Short-sellers are considered the smart money on Wall Street for a good reason -- they usually get it right.
Pitney proved short-sellers who failed to take gains in December were wrong. If the company demonstrates to the entire market the shares are undervalued, a short squeeze above $20 is the likely next stop. The next significant resistance testing level is the 200-week moving average near $19.50.With almost 40% of shares shorted, there is certainly enough fuel to get there if the company can light the fuse. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV