Zalicus Inc. (Nasdaq Capital Market: ZLCS) today announced that it has published preclinical data in Science Translational Medicine showing the beneficial effects of applying the Zalicus combination high-throughput screening (cHTS) technology for the potential treatment of ebolavirus (EBOV) infections. In the paper entitled “FDA-Approved Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators Inhibit Ebola Virus Infection,” the scientists, including drug developers from Zalicus and collaborators from the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) and investigators from the University of Virginia School of Medicine (UVA), describe screening a series of approved drugs and select molecular probes to identify drugs with antifilovirus activity.
“These data continue to confirm the potential of our combination high-throughput screening technology to identify drug combinations with activity in multiple disease states. The value of our cHTS technology, which has been previously validated in a number of cancer indications, continues to demonstrate promise in infectious disease applications as well,” commented Mark H.N. Corrigan, MD, President and CEO of Zalicus. “Our cHTS discovery collaborations with USAMRIID and UVA and pharmaceutical companies such as Novartis validate the value of the cHTS discovery technology to identify novel treatments for diseases.”
Key findings include:
- Identified a set of selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs), including clomiphene and toremifene, which act as potent inhibitors of EBOV infection.
- Confirmed Anti-EBOV activity for both SERMs in an in vivo mouse infection model.
- The SERM compounds inhibit viral entry and are not working through classical estrogen receptor-associated pathways.
- These data support the screening of readily available approved drugs to identify therapeutics for the ebolaviruses and other biothreat infectious diseases.
About ZalicusZalicus Inc. (Nasdaq Capital Market: ZLCS) is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers and develops novel treatments for patients suffering from pain. Zalicus has a portfolio of proprietary clinical-stage product candidates targeting pain such as Z160 and Z944 and has entered into multiple revenue-generating collaborations with large pharmaceutical companies relating to other products, product candidates and drug discovery technologies. Zalicus applies its expertise in the discovery and development of selective ion channel modulators and its combination high throughput screening capabilities to discover innovative therapeutics for itself and its collaborators in the areas of pain, inflammation, oncology and infectious disease. To learn more about Zalicus, please visit www.zalicus.com. About USAMRIID USAMRIID’s mission is to protect the warfighter from biological threats and to be prepared to investigate disease outbreaks or threats to public health. Research conducted at USAMRIID leads to medical solutions—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, and information—that benefit both military personnel and civilians. The Institute plays a key role as the lead military medical research laboratory for the Defense Threat Reduction Agency’s Joint Science and Technology Office for Chemical and Biological Defense. USAMRIID is a subordinate laboratory of the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command. The information contained in this press release does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the Government and no official endorsement should be inferred.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV