INDIANAPOLIS, June 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE:LLY) today issued an alert about two illegal scams, purportedly using the name of the company and/or its subsidiary Elanco Animal Health, that are actively targeting the public through postal mail solicitations and job-seekers through online dialogue. Lilly and Elanco have no connection to any foreign lottery organizations and do not conduct the type of online recruiting described by the job-seeking victims of the scam. The activities described in these scams are completely fraudulent and are in no way affiliated with, or sponsored by, Eli Lilly and Company or its affiliates or subsidiaries.
In the first scam, victims have reported receiving a letter from a foreign lottery sweepstakes organization indicating that the victims have won a large cash award. Included with the letter is a fraudulent check drawn on an account in the name of Eli Lilly and Company or its subsidiary Elanco Animal Health. The check is supposedly to cover lottery fees, taxes or other expenses. Victims are instructed to contact a claims agent, and are then told to deposit the check into their bank account and transmit an amount of money back to the lottery organization or to a broker.
In the second scam, victims have reported being contacted through email or other online methods regarding potential employment opportunities with Lilly based on the victims' submission of information to certain resume and career websites. Through online dialogue, the victims are told they are either being considered for or are being offered employment with Lilly. At some point in the dialogue, the victims are told to expect a check to be delivered to them which they are to deposit into their bank account and then use the funds to purchase "working materials" from an online vendor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV