ADVISORY, June 19, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Despite increased volatility, U.S. stocks moved higher over the past week as investors anticipated that Fed "tapering" may not be as immediate as once feared. The rally was well-distributed as all 10 major sectors were up at least 1.2% in the five trading days ending June 18. Industrials, up 2.06%, led the pack and Consumer Discretionary, up 1.98%, was lifted by strength in housing. The PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX) rose 4.8% during this time period.
"Heightened focus on U.S. Federal Reserve policy has been the driving force behind larger price swings in recent weeks. The move higher in equities over the past 5 days suggests that investors were becoming more comfortable with the idea that the Fed will eventually need to withdraw stimulus, but not as soon as once feared," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes.
|TOP WEEKLY INDEX GAINERS|
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEXES:||6/18/13|
|PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX)||+4.8%|
|PHLX SEMICONDUCTOR INDEX (SOX)||+3.6%|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU)||+3.1%|
|PHLX DEFENSE SECTOR INDEX (DFX)||+3.0%|
|NASDAQ OMX CEA SMARTPHONE INDEX (QFON)||+2.2%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEXES:||6/18/13|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY NATURAL GAS INDEX ER (NQCINGER)||+4.9%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY ENERGY INDEX ER (NQCIENER)||+3.3%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CRUDE OIL INDEX ER (NQCICLER)||+3.2%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY BRENT CRUDE INDEX ER (NQCICBER)||+3.0%|
|PHLX OIL SERVICE SECTOR INDEX (OSX)||+2.7%|
- NASDAQ OMX will make changes to a number of its indexes effective prior to the open of trading on Monday, June 24, including the NASDAQ Q-50 INDEX (NXTQ), the NASDAQ INTERNET INDEX (QNET) and the NASDAQ OMX GLOBAL WATER INDEX (GRNWATUSL). For more information, visit https://indexes.nasdaqomx.com/ .
- Initial Jobless Claims and Continuing Claims data will be released Thursday as the market looks for confirmation of the recent optimism generated by other U.S. Economic data. So far this year, the U.S. large-cap NASDAQ US 300 INDEX (NQUSL300) is up 16.6%.
- Recent weakness in bonds has focused on higher interest rates and rate-sensitive sectors like utilities may be in play. Year-to-date the PHLX UTILITY SECTOR INDEX (UTY) has risen 8.4%.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 firstname.lastname@example.org Chauntez Wilson Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5415 email@example.com Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV