In a June 17 letter, Cooperman wrote "Omega Advisors, Inc. is comfortable with our investment in Linn Energy, we are convinced of the professionalism and integrity of the company's management, we are optimistic about the company's future growth and financial performance."
He further pointed out that Linn Energy has mostly hedged its energy production with costless swap contracts, potentially undermining claims that the company is under-reporting costs it incurs to hedge its energy risk.
Cooperman argued Linn Energy has capitalized the costs of its energy hedges in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP). Non-GAAP metrics such as earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) that are often cited by Linn Energy and investors, by definition, would not include the capital expense of put contracts, Cooperman's letter stated.
Finally, Cooperman highlighted that independent third parties Citigroup and Credit Suisse have valued LinnCo, the subsidiary in the Berry merger, at $35.92 a share and $39.64 a share. Those valuations remain well above Linn Energy's current share price and, according to Cooperman, take into account any tax liability the company would face in its proposed acquisition.Barron's and Hedgeye, however, argued the company's shares could only be worth between $5.48 a share and $18.17 a share. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV