"Microsoft would argue that you don't need any other devices, since theoretically the Xbox One can fill the role of almost all of them, but that promise might not be borne out in the real world," says Sakey.
Sony also has a motion-sensor camera device, called the Eye, but it's optional hardware that Sony isn't making a big deal about. It's expected to go on sale for $59 when the PlayStation 4 launches, according to Kotaku.
When to buy
If you're looking for price drops, you could be in for a long wait. The 360 didn't need to offer a price cut because of its accessible $300 entry-point model. Microsoft maintained the 360's launch price for a record-setting 20 months before a price cut, according to a 2007 CNN article. Conversely, Sony cut the price of its much more expensive $600 entry-point PlayStation 3 by $100 seven and a half months after launch, according to a company press release.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV