The stock continued to move sideways to down to a low of $385.10 into April 19, 2013.
I began to track the bottoming process for Apple and on April 22 wrote Will Apple Sour a Mixed Earnings Season? In this post I profiled Apple pre-earnings along with six other key stocks reporting that week. I followed up with Apple Ripens as Amazon, Starbucks Set to Report on April 24. Apple's first quarter results included a beat on the revenue line. The earnings reaction was quite volatile. The stock surged from $406.13 to nearly $430.00 in after-hours trading and gave up these gains by 8 p.m. The stock opened at $393.54 on April 24 and rallied to a close of $405.46, ending the day with a key reversal.
On May 6 I wrote Caterpillar, Apple Ratings Peeled To Hold. With Apple downgraded to hold from buy the stock was no longer a value play. Apple traded as high as $465.75 into May 7 and has been moving sideways since then, as the bottoming process continues.
Apple is currently rated hold according to ValuEngine with fair value at $502.00, which makes the stock 14.0% undervalued in a market where 71.3% of all stocks are overvalued.The daily chart for Apple ($431.77) has declining momentum with the stock just below its 50-day simple moving average at $435.06. The 200-day SMA is declining at $515.32. The chart pattern is trying to form an inverse head and shoulders bottom with support around $419.00. My annual pivot is $421.05 with an annual risky level at $510.64. Follow @Suttmeier This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV