ST. LOUIS, June 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Monsanto Company today released its 2012 Sustainability Report. The report focuses both on how the company operates its business and how it is working with partners to help with the challenge of feeding 9 billion people expected to inhabit Earth by 2050.
"Every day we are met with the challenges of a growing planet. We will need to produce more food while using natural resources even more efficiently. We are focused on tools and information that empower the world's farmers to find solutions to these challenges," said Jerry Steiner, executive vice president of sustainability and corporate affairs for Monsanto. "This report details our commitment to sustainability, includes a balanced view of our progress to date and examines the challenges we face along our company's sustainability journey."
June 2013 marks the five-year anniversary of when Monsanto made its commitment to sustainable agriculture – pledging to help farmers double yields in our core crops (corn, soy, canola and cotton) by 2030 while committing to produce each ton with one-third fewer resources (land, water and energy). Additionally, the company committed to a goal to help farmers improve their quality of life, including 5 million people in resource-poor farm families by 2020.
"While we've made progress towards some of our goals surrounding our commitment to sustainable agriculture, we still have much more to achieve," said Steiner. "We stand committed to continue to do our part and work together with farmers and partners to continuous improvement in advancing sustainable agriculture."There are four chapters in the Monsanto 2012 Sustainability Report: (1) Our Commitments, (2) Food and Nutrition, (3) Environment and (4) Communities. Report highlights include:
- Employees work to further operationalize sustainability in the company by establishing the Sustainability Strategy Council, which is made up of cross-functional leadership providing guidance and direction on the company's sustainability goals.
- A materiality analysis matrix which helps define the issues that are important to stakeholders and that the company can positively impact around the world.
- Recognition of our employees who best exemplify the company's values and commitment to sustainable agriculture through the Sustainable Yield Pledge Awards.
- Progress on our three-fold sustainable agriculture goal: produce more, conserve more and improving lives.
- Progress on five of our signature partnerships: Monsanto's Beachell-Borlaug International Scholars Program, Mississippi River Watershed Partnership, Water Efficient Maize for Africa, Brazilian partnership with Conservation International, and Project SHARE (Sustainable Harvest – Agriculture, Resources, Environment) in India.
- The company's commitment to work with farmers to address the challenges associated with water, offering sustainable solutions to help manage water demands while meeting farmers' needs and improving yields.
- Expansion of our company's R&D pipeline to include agricultural biologicals, a category of sustainable crop protection solutions made from materials found in nature.
- Examples of Monsanto's philanthropic arm working to substantially and meaningfully improve the lives of people around the world.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV