Editor's note: Jim Cramer told viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show on Tuesday that Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) and Potash (POT) are two ugly ducklings set to become beautiful swans. Here's another stock with those same characteristics.
Then near the end of that summer, investors panicked, gold skyrocketed along with volatility and all hell broke loose. It was the herd mentality at its finest. But amid the chaos, the Golden Arches were not only holding up, but the stock was killing it, running all the way to $100 a share.
Traders and investors had apparently come to the collective agreement (read: herd mentality), that no matter what happened going forward, McDonald's would always be there -- and obviously, many other companies they irrationally left for dead would be too.But that's not all. After a few months into 2012, the stock dropped all the way back to the low $80s because now all of a sudden, McDonald's global sales were down and the company could seemingly no longer compete. This story played out for the rest of 2012, marked by a 52-week low of $83.31 on Nov. 16. (BKW), Wendy's (WEN) and Yum! Brands' (YUM) KFC and Taco Bell. The explosive growth of healthy, quick eateries such as Panera Bread Company (PNRA) and Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) didn't help matters. Along with higher food costs, this contributed to McDonald's margins shrinking faster than management could respond.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV