Editor's note: Jim Cramer told viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show on Tuesday that Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) and Potash (POT) are two ugly ducklings set to become beautiful swans. Here's another stock with those same characteristics.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- An "ugly duckling" stock can turn into a "swan" while few are noticing. What investors want to avoid are the "Black Swans," but I think we should embrace all swans as long as they don't lead to a "swan song."
One emerging swan is Cameco, (CCJ), one of the crown jewels of the nuclear-energy realm.
Cameco wants to remain a dominant nuclear-energy company by increasing its annual uranium supply to meet growing worldwide demand.Much of the world still depends on nuclear energy for electrical power, and the Environmental Protection Agency calls nuclear energy a "clean energy" and a reliable source. According to the Department of Energy, nuclear power accounts for about 20% of electricity production in the U.S. and more than 100 nuclear generating units are in operation in the country. The EPA says uranium is an essential element to nuclear power. Nuclear power is still a controversial subject and exceeds the scope of this article. My point is that uranium keeps the process going. CCJ data by YCharts
After Fukushima, shares of Cameco plunged from around $43 to below $17, although the trailing 12-month (TTM) revenue per share continued to rise. As you can see on the chart above, it has had two spikes higher, while Cameco shares have traded in a narrow range over the past 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV