SAN DIEGO, June 19, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- LPL Financial LLC, the nation's largest independent broker-dealer,* a leading RIA custodian and a wholly owned subsidiary of LPL Financial Holdings Inc. (Nasdaq:LPLA), today announced the firm has reached $50 billion in total RIA assets under custody, doubling its total as of the end of May 2012.
RIA is a commonly used acronym for "Registered Investment Advisor." RIA firms traditionally provide investment counsel and portfolio management services and generate fee income based on the amount of assets supervised.
"The $50 billion milestone caps five years of remarkable growth for our RIA custody business," explained Derek Bruton, managing director for LPL Financial. "We made a calculated decision to focus on this area back in 2008, based on the anticipated success of the then-new hybrid RIA model, which enables both fee and commission-based revenue opportunities for advisors who operate under their own RIA firm. Our recruitment efforts have been wildly successful, as the number of RIA firms on our platform, and their ability to attract assets, has exploded. We have become the destination of choice for the most successful and sophisticated RIA firms in the industry."Beyond the growth of total assets under custody, key indicators of the platform's ongoing growth and success include:
- The LPL Financial RIA custodial platform has grown organically since its initial launch in late 2008 to become one of the top RIA custodians in the industry according to Cerulli Associates, RIA Service Agent Survey 4Q 2012.
- RIA firms on the LPL Financial RIA custodial platform enjoy the highest average assets under custody at $214 million per RIA firm, compared to the top five largest custodians at $136 million in AUC per firm, as validated by Cerulli Associates, RIA Service Agent Survey 4Q 2012.
- Successful recent launch of the only fully integrated trading and rebalancing system in the custodial space, available to all advisors on the platform, which enables RIA firms to move seamlessly from model management through trading in one consolidated platform.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV