NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Twenty to 25 years ago, did people regularly bring laptops to cafes in order to work? Did you see other people doing this?
I didn't, back then. The concept of sitting with your laptop at a cafe to squeeze in an hour of work was essentially an unheard-of concept at until at least the early 1990s, more likely around year 2001.
There was primarily one reason for this: No laptops! Most people just didn't start getting laptops until the last 20 years.
Until that time, people were holed up with PC desktops in their basements and in their offices, doing their deeds isolated from the broader population. With the advent of the laptop, however, a gigantic industry was born: The modern coffee shop. Starbucks (SBUX)grew into one of the world's largest restaurant chains, and Peet's was sold for a huge premium a year or so ago.I think it is fair to say that in the absence of laptops, there would have been no Starbucks, Peet's or equivalent of nearly the size they have become. It's a fundamental change in the entire culture and society. America before the laptop, Starbucks and Peet's was a country that functioned very differently than it does now. We are now only a few days away from the beginnings of a similar revolution in computer gaming, and it's led almost exclusively by NVIDIA (NVDA) . Let me tell you about this most significant development. Until now, most serious gamers have been holed up in their parents' basements, playing games on their PCs and consoles. These mostly young individuals have regressed into becoming fairly anti-social creatures, because they don't see the light of day, or interact with other people in person.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV