Ciena ® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that CANARIE, Canada’s Advanced Research and Innovation Network, has deployed Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform equipped with third generation WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors to support the 100G (100 Gigabits per second) upgrade and network expansion of a route connecting Montreal and New York. The new ultra-high-speed network link will sustain the “big data” streams used in today’s advanced academic and scientific research. For example, the 100G link can allow a full two hour HD movie to download in 4/10ths of a second.
Given today’s increasingly data-intensive and global environment, it is vitally important that CANARIE work with cutting-edge equipment, such as that provided by Ciena, to support their bandwidth requirements.
- Last year, CANARIE experienced 83 percent growth in data traffic, going from 46,149 Terabytes to 84,630 Terabytes in just twelve months. Much of this data comes from “big data” projects like the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Europe, where they recently discovered proof for the existence of the Higgs’ boson particle. Canada’s TRIUMF facility in Vancouver is a Tier-1 data site for the LHC computing grid and uses the CANARIE network to transfer data to and from the other sites.
- Spanning across Canada – from Victoria, BC to St John’s, NL - CANARIE’s network connects more than 89 universities, 101 colleges, 47 CEGEPS, 127 provincial and federal government labs and research parks, 62 hospitals and health networks, 24 cultural institutions, thousands of K-12 schools, 12 provincial and territorial optical network partners, and more than 100 international peer networks in 80 countries. Its unparalleled footprint and diverse user base enabled the transmission of 84,630 Terabytes of data last year.
- The upgraded Montreal to New York link will provide high-performance optical transport to enable the delivery of big data streams and foster greater scientific collaboration – both in-region and internationally – for key Canadian research and education centers that are working on projects including everything from particle physics to genomics and neuroscience.
- “With Ciena’s 100G technology, we are able to expand and upgrade the Montreal to New York route of our vast R&E network, while at the same time significantly reducing our operating costs and increasing performance over this busy link. This is a first step in doing the same at other segments of our network. Ciena has been a critical research and technology partner to CANARIE for more than two decades. CANARIE’s fibre optic networks and Ciena’s optical technologies are invisible to end users, but this infrastructure is absolutely critical to enabling academics, scientists and researchers to leverage global big data resources to create new knowledge and new opportunities for innovation.” - Jim Roche, president and CEO of CANARIE
- “The research and education community relies on cutting-edge communications technology for global collaboration to achieve scientific advancements, which our OP n architecture supports by enabling the economical and exponential scale required to support high-bandwidth and collaborative research projects. Ciena is proud to work with CANARIE on the evolution of its network, helping it to deliver innovative new services and advanced research projects that support tomorrow’s discoveries.” - Rod Wilson, senior director of external research at Ciena
- “The TRIUMF Tier-1 LHC site is a leader in the field by being consistently at the top in terms of availability, reliability, and efficiency when compared to other sites in the world. There are several factors that are reflected in our success and the network infrastructure provided by CANARIE through providers like Ciena is certainly one of them.” - Dr. Reda Tafirout, research scientist at TRIUMF
- Ciena and CANARIE have been showcasing emerging technologies and advanced applications for science, research and education over high-speed, high capacity research networks at several recent events, including at the TERENA Networking Conference (TNC2013), and this week at an exclusive customer event at Ciena’s research and development lab in Ottawa, Canada.
- At the TNC2013 demonstration, participants were able to control a robot arm with haptic feedback while simultaneously controlling an identical remote robot arm located miles away at another global location. To provide participants with the needed three-dimensional visual depth feedback on their movements at the remote location, the demonstration delivered ultra high-definition video streams at extremely low latency to the event venues. Multiple 3G-SDI uncompressed video streams were transmitted and kept in sync with Ciena’s Native Video Transport technology.
- In its Ottawa R&D lab, Ciena showcased its software defined networking capabilities in a demonstration that showed 4K video delivery at 5 Gb/s over the CANARIE network using Ciena packet networking technology featuring OpenFlow 1.3. As part of the demonstration, a video was sent from a StarLight-Ciena connected network in Chicago over the CANARIE network to Ciena’s lab in Ottawa.
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Video: 100G and Beyond for Research & Education
- Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
- White Paper: OPn Network Architecture
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV