A. H. Belo Corporation (NYSE: AHC) announced today that Robert W. Decherd, its Chief Executive Officer since the Company's spin-off from Belo Corp. in February 2008, will retire as CEO in September and be succeeded by James M. (Jim) Moroney III. Moroney is currently executive vice president of the Company and publisher and CEO of The Dallas Morning News.
Decherd, 62, will become vice chairman of the Board of Directors and continue to serve as a member of the Board. Moroney, 56, will maintain his role as publisher and CEO of The Morning News. Moroney will be elected to the Board of Directors at its regular meeting in September.
John P. Puerner, A. H. Belo's Lead Director, said, "This leadership transition has been a focus for the Board and Robert over the past 12 months and we are very pleased that an executive of Jim's caliber and experience is going to lead the Company as it continues along the path to a digital operating platform. Since its spin-off from Belo Corp., A. H. Belo has made great strides in a very difficult industry environment. We are confident that under Jim's direction, we can seize upon opportunities to diversify revenues while maintaining the Company's journalistic mission."
In addition to serving as A. H. Belo's CEO for the past 5 1/2 years, Decherd was Chief Executive Officer of Belo Corp. from 1987 until 2008. He will complete 40 years of employment with the two companies in September. During Decherd's tenure as CEO of Belo Corp., the company increased four-fold in size and Belo played a leading role in public policy matters related to the newspaper and network-affiliated television businesses. Belo's newspaper and television news operations received nine Pulitzer Prizes and more DuPont-Columbia and Peabody awards for journalistic excellence than any owner of local television stations from 1980 to 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV