10 Most Bikeable U.S. Cities
5. Santa Monica, Calif.
Bike score: 82.5
Percentage of bicycle commuters: 2.8%
Somewhere between half to three-quarters of the roads of this eight-mile oceanfront community surrounded by Los Angeles is covered in bike lanes or shared riding space, and it's almost immediately apparent why.
Bike rentals at Santa Monica Bike Center locations or in nearby Venice help flood the streets with cruiser bikes, while a 350-bike sharing program is still in its earliest stages. Meanwhile, the city just installed bike racks throughout its streets and is continuing its immensely popular and free bicycle valet parking service at its Sunday Main Street Farmers Market, Friday nights on Main Street and during special events such as the Twilight Dance Series.There are mass rides for kids, school bike routes, new bike lanes, bike festivals and the Santa Monica beach trail -- a huge draw for visiting cyclists, but a quick route into L.A. for locals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV