10 Most Bikeable U.S. Cities
7. Fort Collins, Colo.
Bike score: 78.3
Percentage of bicycle commuters: 6.64%
The home of the Colorado State University has more than 280 miles of bike lanes and no problem lending bikes to visitors who forgot theirs at home. The city loans out bikes through its Fort Collins Bicycle Library for a refundable down payment and sends away students, residents and visitors with self-guided bike tours.
It also has no problems handing out maps of downtown that encourage riders to use reliable alleyways and lightly traveled streets instead of high-traffic thoroughfares such as College Avenue and Jefferson Street. Those same also mark off the "dismount zone" where cyclists will be issued a $50 ticket if they're caught riding on the sidewalks.One in four Fort Collins residents attends Colorado State, but the city's sprawling bicycle events calendar saves much of its best offerings for summer break. Bike shows, bike and jazz festivals, endurance races, moonlight rides, barbecue biking events and a weekend Fort Collins Cycling Festival in August with concerts, food and races on a big screen downtown fill the slate until well after labor day. This all just supplements the dozens of regularly scheduled rides hosted by area bike groups seven days a week during the summer. New Belgium Brewery completes the cyclist's paradise by hosting the Urban Assault Ride bicycle scavenger hunt throughout the city in July, a bike-in cinema on the brewery's front lawn for six weeks from August through September and its annual Tour De Fat bicycle race and festival on Labor Day weekend. That bicycle on the label of the brewery's Fat Tire beer isn't just for show.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV