10 Most Bikeable U.S. Cities
2. Davis, Calif.
Bike score: 89.4
Percentage of bicycle commuters: 19%
You're not reading that wrong. That's nearly one in five people who take their bike to work or school. Confine that to the UC Davis campus, however, and bike ridership rises to more than 40%.
For everywhere else in America, the 1970s represented a bike boom. In Davis, it's been a bike boom just about every year since. This is the town that hosts the Tour of California, the Livestrong Challenge Ride and the US Bicycling Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. It regularly pours funding into bike path upgrades from asphalt to concrete, widened and improved bike ramps, and the installation of bicycle racks all over the city.Even with that level of bike use, the city is still contemplating a bike share program. With flat terrain, mild winters and a surrounding area that's mostly farmland, Davis is where ideas such as bike auctions, bike locker rentals, bike registration, parking permits for bike commuters, valet bike parking, tire air stations, shower and locker facilities and bike-based urban planning get their start. On the UC Davis campus, meanwhile, the Bike Barn not only lets students rent bikes, but sets them up with ownership plans and teaches them how to fix their own gear.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV