Icahn has called Dell's takeover "the great giveaway" and sees significant value in returning the company's cash stockpile to shareholders.
Dell would likely mark Icahn's biggest success in winning a tender offer. In recent years, the activist has failed at tenders for Clorox (CLX), Commercial Metals (CMC) and Lions Gate Films (LGF). Still, he had a rare success in winning a tender for refiner CVR Energy (CVI), which has performed strongly under Icahn's control in 2013, as the activist spun off units and paid out hefty special dividends.
While Icahn's special dividend and equity stub proposal might have broken new ground in the annals of shareholder activism and M&A, a $14 a share tender offer may present a more clear challenge to the Silver Lake and Michael Dell-led investor consortium.
Dell Shares closed up slightly in Tuesday trading at $13.48. The company's current share price is below both Silver Lake's board-supported takeover and Icahn's proposed tender.-- Written by Antoine Gara in New York Follow @AntoineGara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV