Third-shortest break-even period: Phoenix, Ariz.
Break-even point: 2.1 years
Phoenix is rising from the housing bust's ashes, with median local property values bouncing back by an estimated 24% over the past year to hit $165,600.
Zillow predicts home values will rise another 10.6% during the coming 12 months, which means people who buy Phoenix properties can expect a quick break-even point.Gudell says that's particularly true given that home values are still relatively low when compared with the area's $1,170 estimated median rent. Add in the expected future home-price appreciation and "it's looking pretty [smart] to buy in Phoenix right now," she says. Zillow lists nearly 7,000 Phoenix-area houses and condos as up for sale.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV