Fifth-shortest break-even period: Dallas/Fort Worth
Break-even point: 2.3 years
Zillow estimates you'll need only a tad more than two years to break even buying a home here instead of renting one.
Gudell says that's because prices are modest today -- the median Dallas/Fort Worth home costs $132,700 -- but expected to rise a decent 3.5% over the next year.By contrast, the median Dallas/Fort Worth rental costs a relatively high $1,340 per month. "Home values are a little bit low in relation to rents," Gudell says. If you're interested in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Zillow lists more than 5,000 homes for sale there.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV