Updated to include second Musk tweet about battery swapping.
The unsubstantiated rumors did not mention what technology GM would license in the deal. It is worth noting that Tesla has deals with both Daimler (DAI) and Toyota Motors (TM) to build power trains for both companies.
Tesla spokeswoman Shanna Hendricks said the company does "not comment on rumours or speculation."Shares of GM were higher in Tuesday trading, up 0.8% to $34.00. Tesla has kept up the positive press recently, and this week is shaping up to be no different. The Palo Alto, Calif.-based electric car company is going to demonstrate battery-swapping later this week, trying to help alleviate worries about consumers and "range anxiety." CEO Elon Musk has long said the battery pack could be removed easily mid-journey, and the company plans to demonstrate just that. In a tweet, Musk announced the battery swapping demonstration will take place Thursday night at the company's design studio.
Live pack swap demo on Thurs night at 8pm California time at our design studio in Hawthorne. Seeing is believing.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 18, 2013In a separate tweet, Musk noted the technology for battery-swapping works with all Model S vehicles, and the technology "was always there."
Battery pack swap works with all Tesla Model S cars, past and present. It was always there.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 18, 2013-- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV