NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jill Malandrino discussed where investors can make money in the agriculture sector with Gary Sandlund, president of Futures International, on Tuesday.
With planting and growing conditions perfect so far this year, many floor traders may be reminded of last year's start. According to Sandlund, that can change in a hurry -- just as conditions changed last year during what became a record drought.
There could be worries on the floor about another possible drought, she said, but Sandlund downplayed it, citing this year's wet spring and late planting compared to last year's very dry spring and early planting.Globally, he said the U.S. has not taken into account the increased demand for agricultural products we'll see due to the port strikes and logistical issues in Brazil and the political unrest in Argentina. Sandlund said China will continue to be a big consumer and will "take everything they can get their hands on." While corn and wheat prices are about where they were this time last year, Sandlund doesn't believe we will experience the price jolt we did 12 months ago because of the extreme drought conditions. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @traderboy23 Follow @optionsprofits
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV