NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Debra Borchardt is with Francis Gaskins, Director of Research for Equities.com, discussing the three biotech IPOs this week.
BlueBirdBio focuses on cancer treatment by taking a patient's blood and modifying it to attack cancer cells, which could be a huge breakthrough for the industry. According to Gaskins, it is possible for the company to succeed on its own, but the deal with bio-giant Celgene will certainly help.
PTC Pharmaceuticals (PTCT) also has its IPO this week with a $100 million offering. This company focuses on treating muscular diseases and has a low valuation, at just 2.5 times book value.While Gaskins says that he still prefers BlueBirdBio to PTC, he likes that this company has several partnerships and that it is "making progress in an area for which there is little known treatment." Unfortunately for Regado (RDGO), the company has no collaborations with other biotech names, meaning that they will have no support and will have to do everything on their own. Making things a little more dicey according to Gaskins, is that the company plans to use the $75 million offering to fund a phase three trial, which has yet to provide a completion date. While the first two trials have seemed to go well and the valuation is low, Gaskins warns potential investors that without any collaborations or a set completion date for phase three trialing, this name is riskier than the first two.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV